Friday 8 February 2013

I've just finished watching a programme about vinyl on BBC four and discussing how this period from the early sixties to early eighties will more than likely be considered a "golden era" for music. It's really rather pathetic & a bit embarrassing to admit that I genuinely felt sad & almost started tearing up thinking about all these incredible albums that were influenced & created by the LP format that allowed them to tell stories & mean more than just a catchy single to be played on the radio and established some of the most important musical movements. Whilst I take pride in my varied music taste & interest in some of them, it's incredibly difficult not to feel distant from them knowing that I have never really experienced anything similar and more than likely never will. And clutching at straws trying to think of the equivalent that I can probably relate to my generation and coming up with "dubstep" is extremely disheartening, although saying that, give it another fifty years and I will probably look back on this time and wonder how I missed whatever sort of movement was going on under my nose right now. After all, whenever I talk to any adults about Britpop the general reaction that I seem to get was that it wasn't really a big deal and it was just happening, it wasn't something that you felt was "a way of life" and it's only in hindsight that we can collate these musical testaments & recognise to be a distinctive thing in itself. It couldn't really be any more cliche to wonder whether you were born in the right generation or not, especially to announce it but maybe it's because I am so separated from these eras that I can appreciate them.


"Terry thought of something that Ray Davies had said recently about how he felt like sobbing his heart out whenever he looked at anyone’s record collection, because it was just so moving to see that personal soundtrack laid out before you, naked and open and fading with the years, because if you cared about this kind of thing then it was all there among the scratched vinyl and the cracked gatefold sleeves, as plain as could be, all the hopes and yearnings of someone’s private universe, and everything that a young heart could possibly want or need or yearn for."



No comments:

Post a Comment